Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Hypocricy of the "World Wide Leader"

As many avid sports fans know, the "World Wide Leader" is ESPN. As a heterosexual male and sports fan, much of my entertainment time is filled with one of the ESPN television networks or ESPN radio.

For years, there have been complaints regarding ESPN's influence on college football rankings, NCAA basketball tournament selections, and even Craig James' undue impact on Mike Leach's career at Texas Tech.

Now, the WWL is branching into politics.

As I watched "The Sports Reporters" on Sunday morning, one of the largest topics of conversation was Arizona's new immigration enforcement laws. Not only did the columnists speak on the potential impact of the law on sports in the state, but they actually gave their interpretation and disapproval of the law.

If I wanted to watch political commentary on Sunday morning, there are a variety of options outside of the ESPN family of networks who, I'm sure, would be more deserving of my viewership.

As if it is not excruciating enough listening to Mike Lupica criticize the performance of another athelete (or anyone with any actual talent), now I have to listen to him berate the state of Arizona for standing up for itself.

One of the reporters (forgive my poor research in getting his name) actually concluded that this was a step back towards the "Jim Crow Laws" and second class citizenship.

Why in the world is this on ESPN?

I think that an effective argument can probably be made on both sides of the issue, and it has been explored in depth on many media outlets. (Which is why I have not discussed it here)

The hypocricy comes into play here: I was listening to "Mike and Mike" this morning on the radio, and they were mocking politicians who made embarrassing or erroneous statements in relation to the world of sports. (Members of Congress investigating the steroids scandal in baseball and mispronouncing players names, the Mayor of Boston saying that Varitek kicked it between the goal posts instead of Vinatierri, etc.)

Mike and Mike correctly concluded that if a politician doesn't know enough about sports to speak intelligently about it, then they should just be more up front about that instead of embarassingly pretending to be a big fan.

The same can be said for "The Sports Reporters" and politics...

I love watching ESPN and will make no empty threats of boycott.

I think that this has just as much to do with our "celebrity worship" society where we look towards our favorite movie star or rapper to figure out how to vote. Everybody feels, not only entitled to an opinion, but to an expert opinion on any subject that needs to be broadcast. (perhaps, me included)

No comments:

Post a Comment