Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Disagreed with Neal Boortz?

Yesterday, I disagreed with Neal Boortz, and that was significant enough for me to note.

Florida Governor Charlie Crist vetoed a bill that will hold teachers accountable for their student's performance in the classroom. The bill would make it easier to fire teachers whose students perform below standards on a particular standardized test.

Boortz thought that Crist let the teachers off the hook and was pandering for the vote of the teacher's unions in November. (The pandering part may very well be true...)

While did let the teachers off the hook, so to speak. He also vetoed a piece of bad legislation. Using the war on drugs or most any tax policy as examples, the government must give careful consideration to the consequences of its laws in addition to their general purpose.

Indeed, this bill would make it easier for the state of Florida to circumvent past union negotiations in order to quickly assess and fire bad teachers. (Can you imagine having job tenure at 25-26 years old?) However, it would also prevent good teachers from taking on challenging school districts for fear that their kids would not adequately perform on the tests.

For that reason, Crist was right to veto.

If the bill would have compared teachers within the same school, then I would have been all for it.

Not exactly a big national issue... Just letting Boortz know that I can still think for myself-

No comments:

Post a Comment